The PPM Unit focuses on the management of vector-borne diseases (VBDs) of public and veterinary health importance with a particular emphasis on vector distribution and abundance and how to collect, manage and integrate vector data at various scales (*) to reduce nuisance and control disease.
(*) Scales at which the Unit operates include: continent, region, country, landscape element, local communities, and households.
Research and innovation:
- Spatial modeling: spatial sampling strategies & sample size, spatial distribution & abundance models, spatial uncertainty of model outputs, identification of donor and receptor areas for invasive species;
- Vector population dynamics;
- Image-processing chains and integration of time-series acquired from satellites and unmanned airborne vehicles (UAV);
- Air-borne trapping devices.
Products developed by the PPM unit:
- VECMAP™, a ‘One Stop Shop’ software package for vector mapping;
- SmartVEC™, an on-demand information system for VBD outbreak management at the household level (demo stage);
- SensRiZK™ (PAT2502474EP00) a service to remotely monitor and control insect pests (demo stage).
PPM products are commercialized by Avia-SenZ, an Avia-GIS sales spin-off.